Shaarrkk!!!!/Friday Fictioneers

“It’s not the same thing,” Jake said. “The one you’re thinking of was a moss covered cable.”

Dale nodded. “This is a river, not an ocean. But that doesn’t make it any less scary for me.”

Image may contain: outdoor

PHOTO PROMPT © Sandra Crook

“So you’re not getting in? You’re really letting some silly pretend motion picture dictate your fun? You know how ridiculous that is, right?”

Dale swallowed. “You think I’m being irrational?”

“You don’t?”

Dale blew out a loud breath. “Okay. I’ll get in.” He took a few cautious steps into the water.

Jake’s warning scream came too late as the shark swallowed his friend’s body.

100 Words

Author Note:  I’m a huge JAWS fan.  This prompt reminded me of the moss-covered cable from Jaws 2.

About Shirley McCann

Shirley McCann is a tea drinker and avid reader. She lives in Springfield, MO with her two children and five grandchildren.

14 Responses to Shaarrkk!!!!/Friday Fictioneers

1. neilmacdon says:

Sometimes our fears are there to be conquered, and sometimes we’re wise to listen to them

2. Dear Shirley,

Apparently Dale’s fear wasn’t irrational after all. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

3. Iain Kelly says:

Is it a myth, or did the first Jaws film really stop tourists from swimming in the water – I like to think it was a real effect! Poor Dale!

4. Dale says:

This Dale is not so very adventurous when it comes to water. But not because of sharks, because I nearly drowned in Mexico!
    I know many people who fear water because of that movie! Well done, Shirley

5. Hi Dale. My brother is afraid of water too, although I don’t know why.

6. Abhijit Ray says:

Some time we should listen to irrational fears. Subconscious mind sends out signals we cannot decider. Dale paid through his life ignoring such a signal.

7. granonine says:

OH, how horrifying that would be to have to watch! And the guilt the surviving one will carry all his life would also be horrifying. Well written piece.

Liked by 1 person

8. Jade Li says:

Why oh why Jake did you bully him? Instant karma and poor Dale gone…

9. gahlearner says:

Oh no, poor Dale. Jaws #1 scared me horribly, but it never could keep me out of the water when I had the chance to swim in the sea. Great take, the hesitation of Dale and Jake’s taunts come through clearly.

Liked by 1 person

10. Oh dear, after all that he wasn’t overreacting. Jake must feel terrible.

Liked by 1 person

11. Oh no, he should have listened to his internal voice and not his friend. Great twist!